When I tell people what I do for a living, I so often get “What on earth is a doula”?
So… a doula is [primarily] a woman who gives support, help, and advice to another woman during pregnancy, the birth and in the postnatal period. It is often described as ‘Mothering the mother’ which I love and to me encapsulates it perfectly. There is also much growing evidence that shows having a doula brings numerous benefits such as reduced risk of intervention, a shorter labour and improving conditions of babies after birth – check out the Doula UK website for more.
As well as being a crazily exciting time, pregnancy, birth and the post natal period can be totally overwhelming and I as a doula really can act as a vital support for you. Aiding physical and emotional comfort at the birth, I can help with hypnobirthing relaxation techniques that will allow you to trust in your body and feel informed of your choices should your birth deviate from what you imagined. As well as having a well rounded knowledge of the whole birth story, I can be that extra person that you know you can call on 24/7 around what can be such a daunting time. And by support, I mean someone to share your fears with, sleep deprivation, laughter, help with feeding, to offer encouragement, someone to hug it out with or to quite honestly just chat it out over tea and biccies. Yes there is always tea and biscuits.
I have gone through the accreditation process with Doula UK and am proud to say that I am a Recognised Birth Doula.
Most importantly of all, I passionately believe that as women we should have the choice to feel empowered to birth exactly as we want. A positive birth experience is something I wholeheartedly believe in and I would love the chance to talk to you about embarking on your wonderful journey together. I offer both birth & postnatal doula support packages, so please have a look at my prices below, get in touch and lets suss out your needs together…
Doula Birth Package (£1,300 + travel / Shared Care £1,500 + travel)
- 2 x antenatal sessions where I can get to know you and your family. We can discuss feeding & birth preferences, relaxation techniques for labour and beyond, hopes and fears, practical logistics for birth and the wider family and most importantly discuss how I can support you at such a special time.
- 1 x session to support the postnatal period & get a plan together.
- A place on one of my Wise Hippo Birthing Programme courses at a reduced rate.
- I will be on call from 38 weeks until your labour starts and will be with you throughout your labour and birth for as long as you need me.
- 1 x postnatal follow up
- I am happy to accompany you on antenatal visits.
Postnatal Support (£25 p/hour)
For that extra care and support, in the first few days or weeks of your little ones arrival. Whether its to debrief your birth, keep you company, help with siblings, support your feeding choice or just care for the baby so you can have a hot shower – I’m there.